Overdosing on Vitamins Question?

You're on Page 1 of 4
Go to
  • So I'm planing on taking this multivitamin.

GNC: Vitamins, Supplements, Minerals, Herbs, Sports Nutrition, Diet & Energy and more...

And it contains 100% of the Vitamin D needed in one day.
    The problem is i drink a lot of milk throughout the day and maybe some other dairy products. I'm pretty scared on overdosing on Vitamin D because it is proven it can lead to death.
  • This doesn't relate to Vit D, but I personally know two babies from two different families in two different decades that wouldn't eat any solid food but carrots and their skin turned orange. That's an OD of something.
  • I have read on the internet that certain vitamins can be over done. I should make a list because I take a lot of vitamins besides a one a day. In fact I think I will do that lol. Can never be safe enough.
  • Quote: So I'm planing on taking this multivitamin.

GNC: Vitamins, Supplements, Minerals, Herbs, Sports Nutrition, Diet & Energy and more...

And it contains 100% of the Vitamin D needed in one day.
    The problem is i drink a lot of milk throughout the day and maybe some other dairy products. I'm pretty scared on overdosing on Vitamin D because it is proven it can lead to death.
    I would speak to your doctor about your concerns. He should be aware of any supplements you are taking anyway, especially if you are on other medications.
  • I wouldn't be concerned. If you just take the vitamin once daily, you should be just fine. Most people eat dairy products and get a fair amount of sun, so you're not particularly unusual, and I'm sure a company like GNC wouldn't produce vitamins that would make Joe Average keel over.

If you are really concerned, you should take Lorraine's advice and see a doctor.
  • This reminds of the time I took a bunch of vitamins at once. I was probably 15 or 16 and I thought it would be funny to do. Man, the headache I ended up with was awful. I never did that again.
  • It is fairly easy to find a multi-vitamin that doesn't have any vitamin D in it. I would suggest looking around at a few vitamin shops online. You could even ask the customer service area for some recommendations on specials.

Even so, I doubt you could run into any real trouble unless you are drinking a gallon of milk a day. If your drinking that much milk, you have other issues.
  • from what i know, if you are drinking milk, your body doesn't absorb too much of the vit. d in it. your body has more trouble absorbing vitamins from food when you grow older. that's why supplements get more and more important as you grow older.
  • From what I know, if you drink milk, you should also take Vit. D. That will help your body absorb more calcium from the milk.
  • Vit. D toxicity occurs when you imbibe too much Vit. D, usually when you take prescription Vit. D or rodenticides. in effect you need to have 15 times the normal Vit. D levels in your body to have toxic levels.