Wellness Centers Wellness programs are designed to promote health and general wellness. Some centers are open for everyone, from people who just want relax to recovering addicts who want to heal, and some are specifically designed for formerly addicted individuals.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:37 AM

Jocelyn is on a distinguished road
Default Drug-Testing reduces drug use among students

I'm not sure if this topic belongs here... There's no category for drug abuse or addiction treatment in general =(

According to a federal evaluation by the Institute of Education Sciences of some 4,700 students across seven states, there is now less substance use among students who are subject to in-school random drug testing.

Specifically, the evaluation found that 16% of students subject to drug testing reported using substances covered by their districtís testing program within the past 30 days, compared to 22% of comparable students in schools without the program.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:44 PM

DocMon is on a distinguished road

I think that the thought of being randomly picked for drug testing and being found out is a good deterrent. Nobody would want to be known as a junkie, especially in high school.

This is why I really think that random drug testing is a good idea, through and through.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:34 AM

markedman is on a distinguished road

This is something good. They should have done the same rigorous drug-testing programs years ago.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:54 PM

friedchicken is on a distinguished road

But I have also read that this drug-testing program did not really affect the reported intentions of the students to use substances in the future. I believe that as long as the intentions are there, there are still huge chances that they will try using drugs in the future. They are just waiting for the opportune time to do it.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:03 AM

MarissaS is on a distinguished road

Then they should also do something about these intentions.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:17 AM

Alora is on a distinguished road

Let's not be pessimistic about these things. This is a large program and it's already a big step forward. I know that it will take some more time before they get to do something about the intention. Intentions are a personal thing, so it's really hard for other people to control.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:32 AM

charlotte is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I agree. Let's just be positive and be thankful that there are people who devoted time and energy to these evaluations or these programs. They deserve a pat in the back for bringing in a positive change, no matter how little, or how significant.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:27 PM

kyle84 is on a distinguished road

Dear Jocelyn,

I think the change or reduction in students' drug usage is inevitable when they know what they are taking. Another important thing is perhaps their fear of getting exposed to fellow students that they were taking substances or drugs which might stain their overall status.