Wellness Centers Wellness programs are designed to promote health and general wellness. Some centers are open for everyone, from people who just want relax to recovering addicts who want to heal, and some are specifically designed for formerly addicted individuals.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:08 AM

Derek is on a distinguished road
Default West African shrub cures drug addiction?

I have read an article about a former meth addict who credits her being drug-free to a controversial treatment in Mexico. This treatment is called ibogaine, which is a hallucinogenic extract from a West African shrub. Ibogaine supresses withdrawal symptoms, including the painful ones. It helps treat addiction in that it keeps you from craving for the drugs. Ibogaine is illegal in the United States and legal in Europe.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:35 PM

RoyEmpleo is on a distinguished road

If this is effective in treating addiction, why is this illegal in the U.S.?
Old 07-05-2010, 05:23 PM

charlotte is on a distinguished road

This is all-natural, right? No chemical components? From what specific shrub does is come from?
Old 07-05-2010, 06:40 PM

zen is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I think ibogaine is all-natural. The extract comes from the root bark of a shrub called Tabermanthe iboga, which is a four-foot-tall shrub that's native to equatorial Africa. Ibogaine is used in African tribal rituals and as a stimulant.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:57 AM

singular is on a distinguished road

I guess the government just needs to do more research or studies to make sure whether ibogaine is really effective with dangerous side effects. Maybe it will turn out to be safe after all. I wish it will. Because I've heard that ibogaine is much less costly than traditional addiction therapies.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:19 PM

tequila is on a distinguished road

Actually, the federal government has already spent $2 million on preliminary research on obogaine. But yeah, these are limited animal and human studies. More well-controlled research and studies need to be done.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:46 PM

DocMon is on a distinguished road

If it's something that can help people (and more cheaply at that), then they should be able to get it. Because honestly, if they think this medicine is potentially lethal, drugs addiction more certainly is! What's a few "unexplained" deaths "possibly" caused by ibogaine compared to hundreds of thousands of deaths ABSOLUTELY caused by drug overdose?
Old 07-06-2010, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
I have read an article about a former meth addict who credits her being drug-free to a controversial treatment in Mexico. This treatment is called ibogaine, which is a hallucinogenic extract from a West African shrub. Ibogaine supresses withdrawal symptoms, including the painful ones. It helps treat addiction in that it keeps you from craving for the drugs. Ibogaine is illegal in the United States and legal in Europe.
It would be interesting to find out if the studies related to ibogaine is conclusive and exhaustive. If it really does cause brain damage and death, how come it is still legal in Europe.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen View Post
Yeah, I think ibogaine is all-natural. The extract comes from the root bark of a shrub called Tabermanthe iboga, which is a four-foot-tall shrub that's native to equatorial Africa. Ibogaine is used in African tribal rituals and as a stimulant.
A word to the wise: all-natural doesn't always equate to safe
Old 07-06-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singular View Post
I guess the government just needs to do more research or studies to make sure whether ibogaine is really effective with dangerous side effects. Maybe it will turn out to be safe after all. I wish it will. Because I've heard that ibogaine is much less costly than traditional addiction therapies.
I have the same thoughts. I am thinking that this would be similar to peyote. You can argue for or against it, but it will always boil down to whether it's safe or not.