Valium One of the most frequently prescribed drugs in the world today is Valium or diazepam. Commonly used for treating anxiety, insomnia, seizures, muscle spasms, alcohol withdrawal and benzodiazepine withdrawal, it is also a commonly abused drug, with many individuals suffering from valium addiction.

Old 06-06-2009, 07:18 PM

neo is on a distinguished road
Default Valium Losing Effect

I have been on valium for some time for panic disorder although I do try to use it wisely but that is easier said than done. I've read that if used in the long term that valium can lose the effect it has on the body. Has anybody else heard this or know more about it?
Old 06-08-2009, 08:34 AM

markedman is on a distinguished road

hi neo:

As with other drugs, your body could develop tolerance for Valium, which means that in time, you'd need more and more of it to get the same effects you're getting now.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:45 AM

Blender is on a distinguished road

Not only that, you can also get addicted to Valium. When you stop taking valium, you experience withdrawal symptoms like those seen in users of barbiturates and alcoholics. Even if you've been taking valium for a short time or in low doses!
Old 06-08-2009, 10:42 AM

DocMon is on a distinguished road

there have been studies that show that valium users often get addicted to valium and that almost everyone on valium gets withdrawal symptoms.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:53 AM

BroSantino is on a distinguished road

More than that, you can easily overdose on valium. ODing on Valium could lead to mental confusion, hypotension, impaired motor functions, dizziness, drowsiness, loss of balance and even coma. Valium, however, is rarely fatal.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:51 PM

Thanks for all your replies and information. I think although the addiction side is something I'm aware of I tend to forget how easy it would be to get hooked. As I haven't tried to come off the drug yet I can't speak on the withdrawal side of things, but it sounds like I will experience some so at least I will be aware of this now.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:29 AM

chrystal520 is on a distinguished road
Default very true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blender View Post
Not only that, you can also get addicted to Valium. When you stop taking valium, you experience withdrawal symptoms like those seen in users of barbiturates and alcoholics. Even if you've been taking valium for a short time or in low doses!
this happened to my mother almost exactly, they kept upping her doses until the doctor discovered she was addicted and tried to replace it with other drugs. she later became an alcoholic and died of an overdose of alcohol and perscription sleeping pills.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrystal520 View Post
this happened to my mother almost exactly, they kept upping her doses until the doctor discovered she was addicted and tried to replace it with other drugs. she later became an alcoholic and died of an overdose of alcohol and perscription sleeping pills.
Chrystal I'm very sorry to hear that. Things like this make me more aware of the seriousness of addiction and think more about my own view of the drugs I take.
Old 06-14-2009, 01:19 PM

Freedom is on a distinguished road

I started off taking 2 mgs then 5 mgs. They prescribed 1 or 2 as needed. Well, depending on how anxious I am at the time; that leaves the door wide open. Thankfully, I haven't currently had to take mine all the time.

But, I would definitely address your concerns with your doctor. It may be very possible that they could switch up your medicine to another one, that does the same job.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
I started off taking 2 mgs then 5 mgs. They prescribed 1 or 2 as needed. Well, depending on how anxious I am at the time; that leaves the door wide open. Thankfully, I haven't currently had to take mine all the time.

But, I would definitely address your concerns with your doctor. It may be very possible that they could switch up your medicine to another one, that does the same job.
Thanks for your input Freedom. I'm on 5mg at the moment and trying not to take it too often. At the moment I'm taking it less than a while back where I was taking it every day to calm me down.

I don't think I would ask my doctor to change it because I don't feel anything else would be as effective. The valium doesn't completely get rid of the feelings but it seems to dull them enough for me to try and cope without feeling like I'm flipping out.