Tranquilizers Tranquilizers are used as an effective sedative. As the name suggests, a tranquilizer induces tranquility in a person. Sedatives can be abused to produce an overly-calming effect and can result in unconsciousness and even death.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:44 AM

markedman is on a distinguished road
Default Using tranquilizers to control your kids is child abuse

I've just learned that some parents at my kid's school is using tranquilizers to tame their rowdy children. This is unspeakable and opens these kids up for addiction at such an early age! It should be child abuse!
Old 08-16-2010, 09:28 AM

BroSantino is on a distinguished road

Oh my... I couldn't think about doing this to my kids, how heartless a parent could you get???
Old 08-16-2010, 09:58 AM

WantTope is on a distinguished road

I know of parents who do this. One neighbor who is a work at home mom gives tranquilizers to her kids to make them shut up and stop playing around the house. I think that it's cruelty to her children, but what can we do?
Old 08-16-2010, 10:32 AM

singular is on a distinguished road

The sad thing is that, this is not an isolated case. I have read a study made by Dr. Shan Yin at the University of Colorado. Dr. Yin says that there are at least 160 cases reported every year wherein parents SEVERELY drug their own children to control their behavior.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:43 PM

MarissaS is on a distinguished road

Imagine just how many others are going on. It won't get reported because children do not know that their parents are doing them wrong!!! It only gets reported if something happens to them!
Old 08-16-2010, 12:50 PM

Marcus_Weiner is on a distinguished road

I have not heard of this study, but if they have the cases, then they should know what drugs are being given to these children right? This is horrible!
Old 08-16-2010, 06:18 PM

lemon is on a distinguished road

Well, the drugs used by parents are varied. There are those who give prescription drugs, some give over-the-counter drugs, soume use antipsychotics, painkillers, sedative and even cough and cold medications. There are also parents who give their kids illegal drugs!
Old 08-16-2010, 06:43 PM

Wilhelmina is on a distinguished road

So we really have parents who drug their children and no legislation has come out of it? This is plain and simple child abuse! You are damaging the child by rendering him or her open to addiction at such an early age, and for what, so that they'd behave???? UGH!
Old 08-16-2010, 06:45 PM

Wilhelmina is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon View Post
Well, the drugs used by parents are varied. There are those who give prescription drugs, some give over-the-counter drugs, soume use antipsychotics, painkillers, sedative and even cough and cold medications. There are also parents who give their kids illegal drugs!
Cold medications should not be given to children under two years old, there have been a lot of medical advisories telling parents about the dangers of cough and cold medications given to children without the consent of their physicians!
Old 08-16-2010, 07:21 PM

gertie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantTope View Post
I think that it's cruelty to her children, but what can we do?
This is just child abuse to me, it should be a criminal offense for these parents!

Check out the case of Carolyn Riley who was given a life sentence after killing her little girl! She gave the four year old psychotropic drugs that killed the little girl!

Quote:
Mother convicted in girl’s drug death
By Patricia Wen

A South Shore mother was found guilty yesterday of second-degree murder in the death of her 4-year-old daughter, Rebecca, who went to sleep one night after being given toxic levels of psychotropic drugs and never woke up.

Carolyn Riley, 35, showed no visible emotion when the 12-member jury returned the verdict after 19 hours of deliberations in Plymouth Superior Court.
You can get the article from Boston.com