Prozac One of the most recognizable antidepressants in the market, Prozac is one of the many brand names for Fluoxetine hydrochloride. Used to treat major depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder, bulimia nervosa, anorexia nervosa, panic disorder and premenstrual dysphoric disorder, Prozac is the third most prescribed antidepressant in the United States.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:24 AM

mr.red is on a distinguished road
Default Should I begin taking Prozac?

I asked my PCP for a referral to a psychologist because I'm having a very hard time dealing with my job. Outside of work(esp on weekends) I'm fine and happy, but each morning having to go into that place, and being there, makes me feel sad, anxious, frustrated, defensive, worthless and trapped. And with the state of things, I cannot find a new job easily. I can either quit and not be able to pay my bills, or stay at this place and implode.

I wanted to talk to a therapist to help me deal with & workout these feelings. The woman I saw today, however, simply asked me a bunch of questions about my situation, then gave me a prescription for Prozac 20mg.

I never intended on taking meds, but if it can help me get through the days at this job until I can quit, then I will do so. I just don't want it screwing up my brain and personality in the long run, or ruining my sex life.

Do you think I should start taking the Prozac? Any helpful guidance or advice?

Thanks for your time.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:56 AM

merry is on a distinguished road

Prozac is a very good medication for depression. But I don't think you are suffering from depression. If you were you would be unhappy all the time. And you are saying you are unhappy just at work. The problem seems to me to be more of a situational problem not a over all problem. I would strongly suggest you devote all your free time to finding another job. Ive been in this exact situation myself. And i just had to get out of my job. But taking a antidepressant isn't going to make your job tolerable. If you hate it then you hate it. Prozac is not a magic wand. If you said you were feeling sad all the time even on weekends and lost interest in activities you use to enjoy then I would say it's depression over all. But in your case it sounds to me it's just a job situation and you need to change that situation not take a antidepressant to make the job fuzzy. Just change your job ASAP. If you hate your next job then you need to work on job skills. You can try to antidepressant and it may make things more tolerable for the time being but just face it you need a new job. If you are feeling depressed a lot and just not telling people then yes, start taking the antidepressant because it will help. Only you know how bad you are feeling. So really only you can answer this question truthfully. Prozac won't screw up your mind. In fact 20mg is such a small amount I doubt you'll feel it at all. Hey you really have nothing to lose except to maybe feel a bit better. If you don't like it tell your doctor it's not working and he/she can take you off it or try another medication. Good Luck. It will all work out. Prozac is one of the best medications out there. So don't be scared. I take it.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:45 PM

minervayates is on a distinguished road

Prozac is an effective remedy for bipolar disorder, bulimia, and anxiety as it operates and balances the serotonin levels in the brain. In bipolar patients, it is often prescribed in addition to other drugs. Prozac is an effective remedy for depression, but might result in manic episodes to worsen. For this purpose, Prozac is in the main prescribed along with an anti-psychotic drug that helps tone down manic episodes. Therapy sessions or counseling is in addition more often than not a part of therapy.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:35 PM

alexford is on a distinguished road
Default Who should take Prozac

Who should take Prozac:

People with bipolar disorder:
generic Prozac can be cautiously prescribed for depression in bipolar disorder, although this will often be in combination with a mood stabilizer and needs to be monitored closely -- SSRIs can potentially contribute to mania or worsening mood cycling in bipolar disorder.

Liver Impairment:
If you have cirrhosis of the liver your doctor may prescribe lower or less frequent dosing.