Prozac One of the most recognizable antidepressants in the market, Prozac is one of the many brand names for Fluoxetine hydrochloride. Used to treat major depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder, bulimia nervosa, anorexia nervosa, panic disorder and premenstrual dysphoric disorder, Prozac is the third most prescribed antidepressant in the United States.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:56 PM

mel1972 is on a distinguished road
Default Information about prozac?

Do you know anyone who is on the medicine Prozac? I once had a friend who was prescribed it. I didn't know anything about the drug up until then. I did some research once she told me what the doctor had prescribed.

I didn't see any negative side effects at first when she first started to take it. She was suffering from depression and this was what the doctor ordered. I was a little surprised as it was the first thing he tried.

I did notice after a while she was a bit antsy and nervous like. Is this a side effect of Prozac? She doesn't seem to be as depressed anymore.

I'm curious to know if Prozac is a medicine that you can become addicted to easily. Is it something that you can take until you are not so depressed and then wean yourself off?

Thanks for any information you might have.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:21 PM

KorbinD1 is on a distinguished road

The doctor who prescribed the medication should have some sort of treatment plan to prevent them from becoming dependant on the prozac. Usually the dosage is reduced over a period of time.
Old 06-13-2009, 01:51 PM

mel1972 is on a distinguished road

So then it is possible to go off the medicine 100%. I like that. She did tell me that in the beginning she was to take more of the drug and then it became less, she never said she would go off completely. I haven't seen her in a bit, to know if she is off or not. I did hear from a friend that she is still acting jittery and nervous.
I don't know which was worse, the nervousness she felt from the medicine or the depression without it.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:56 PM

KorbinD1 is on a distinguished road

That is a tough toss up, I had depression for a while and it was miserable, on the other hand it is no fun being nervous all the time too.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:39 PM

alexford is on a distinguished road
Default re

Prozac (Fluoxetine) has become the most widely prescribed anti-depressant in the western world. Besides treating depression, Prozac is used to treat obsessive-compulsive and panic disorders. It is the oldest SSRI (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor, meaning it works by altering the action of the neurotransmitter, serotonin in the brain), with twenty years of research behind it showing now known long-term side effects. Prozac has few side effects when compared to other anti-depressant drugs, but common side effects may include dry mouth, constipation, urinary retention, sedation, and weight gain.