Prozac One of the most recognizable antidepressants in the market, Prozac is one of the many brand names for Fluoxetine hydrochloride. Used to treat major depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder, bulimia nervosa, anorexia nervosa, panic disorder and premenstrual dysphoric disorder, Prozac is the third most prescribed antidepressant in the United States.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:50 AM

napalm is on a distinguished road
Default Is Prozac Really Good for Anorexia?

i've heard about using prozac to treat anorexia, but I've also heard reports that it may not be good for the eating disorder either, so what's the real score?
Old 05-25-2009, 10:29 AM

zen is on a distinguished road

as far as I know, Prozac is good for people who have anorexia nervosa. I think that it makes sufferers less conscious about their weight
Old 05-25-2009, 05:16 PM

Peruvian is on a distinguished road

Anorexics can starve themselves to death. It's not something that Prozac can help!
Old 05-25-2009, 05:50 PM

MarissaS is on a distinguished road

Recent research have found that Prozac doesn't really treat anorexics... but it can help prevent relapse!
Old 05-25-2009, 07:43 PM

LiaAtha is on a distinguished road

I think the confusion stems from the fact that most anorexics also become depressed. Those who do may be helped by prozac but only as far as their depression goes. this is also true with OCD, as most anorexics are obsessive-compulsive, and prozac is great in treating OCD!
Old 05-25-2009, 07:44 PM

LiaAtha is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarissaS View Post
Recent research have found that Prozac doesn't really treat anorexics... but it can help prevent relapse!

Yeah I've heard of that. And it's great too because anorexics are prone to relapse! I just hope that Prozac was in some way effective in treating anorexia itself.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:59 PM

LiveWIRE is on a distinguished road

Yeah I've heard that what added to the confusion that initial tests included small laboratories with small budgets. These initial tests showed that Prozac was effective, but larger studies didn't find the same results!
Old 05-28-2009, 08:17 PM

BroSantino is on a distinguished road

How could something be ineffective as a treatment, be effective in preventing relapse??? that's weird!
Old 05-29-2009, 06:25 PM

Blender is on a distinguished road

anorexics have an impaired digestive system. It is said that the bodies of anorexics forgets how to digest! And precisely because of that, anorexics will not be able to metabolize Prozac! However, once cured, an anorexic's body may be able to metabolize prozac, that's why it can help in preventing relapse!
Old 06-24-2009, 06:32 AM

chrystal520 is on a distinguished road

anorexia is a condition. but it can also be a symptom of a depressed, or compulsive disorder , in which case i can see how it might help.