Prozac One of the most recognizable antidepressants in the market, Prozac is one of the many brand names for Fluoxetine hydrochloride. Used to treat major depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder, bulimia nervosa, anorexia nervosa, panic disorder and premenstrual dysphoric disorder, Prozac is the third most prescribed antidepressant in the United States.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:14 AM

zen is on a distinguished road

This is why Prozac users get the benefit of making people feel different without feeling drugged out!
Old 06-09-2009, 09:36 PM

Marie is on a distinguished road

I think it probably depends on the person. I think people react differently to certain medications. You have to be careful because prozac can also cause depression only in some cases.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:24 PM

Marie is on a distinguished road

I think Prozac can boost your confidence and fix your mood, but I do not believe that it will change who you are, or your personality permanently. I took prozac once, but I did not feel any different.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:19 AM

chrystal520 is on a distinguished road
Default i beg to differ

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmitaLaSalle View Post
Though it might help people with depression, I don't think that Prozac can change personalities.
my mother, two aunts, and my grandmother were all prescribed prozac for bi-polar. i noticed severe changes in their behavior almost immediately. they became overly carefree to the extent of irresponsibility. it couldnt be a coincidence, or could it?
Old 06-27-2009, 08:59 PM

KorbinD1 is on a distinguished road

That seems like a pretty strong side effect, especially when it comes to affecting job performance, how are they now?
Old 06-30-2009, 01:43 PM

Dboo is on a distinguished road

I took Prozac many years ago and I was on it for like 10 years, and it seemed like it didn't really work. Then I started taking Wellbutrin and have been on that for about 10 years also, I feel it works better.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:39 PM

db0255 is on a distinguished road
Default Yes

I know for a fact that it can change personality. I went on Prozac and it transformed me.
This wasn't like "hey, i just feel less anxious"; this was a total personality change. I was shy, inhibited, sluggish in thought before, dysthymic, and after the change I was just the opposite. It was if my brain were turned ON.
This all pooped out after about 6-8 months. And being weaned off and brought back on, I haven't noticed the same effects, and it also doesn't work/makes things worse.

So to answer your question. Yes, Prozac can change personalities. Will it do it for everyone? Absolutely not. And I don't think the majority will see this change. When it does work on people however in this aspect, I can tell you from experience that it works "better than well".

Also to answer other posts that say that Prozac will not change "who you are". I disagree. It most definitely changed who I was, and made me feel like myself again. There's no other way to explain other than that, and I know others might not understand. It was just as much a "make you feel good about yourself" pill as well as a "make you feel good" pill.

Last edited by db0255; 07-19-2009 at 08:42 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:37 PM

lotus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmitaLaSalle View Post
In Kramer's own words:
As I read Kramer's report, I realized that prozac's effect was to bring out her self confidence and the dormant personality lying within her. It did not really change her entire personality, rather it brought out her true personality.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:19 PM
Soleranz

Usually any doses of prozac show side effects like severe anxiety or mania, changes in vision, weight loss, fast or irregular heartbeat, chest pain, unusual bleeding as exhibited in dark vomit or black stools, difficulty in breathing.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:15 AM

gillianreynolds is on a distinguished road

"If the human brain were simple enough for us to understand, we would be too simple to understand it"