Muscle Relaxers Muscle spasms and pain are relieved by muscle relaxers. A muscle relaxer or a muscle relaxant is a drug which affects skeletal muscle function and decreases the muscle tone. Muscle relaxers are often abused and can be highly addictive.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:50 AM

mel1972 is on a distinguished road
Default Addiction to muscle relaxers?

I was surprised to see that some people can become addicted to muscle relaxers. I know anyone can become addicted to any drug if it makes you feel good.

I hurt my back at work back in 1997, I could hardly move. My doctor prescribed muscle relaxers and physical therapy. I took 1 pill and it about knocked me out. I felt like I wasn't in my body, like I was floating on top looking at myself. It was the strangest feeling. I literally could not get up and walk to the bathroom on my own. I was thankful when the pill wore off. I called the doctor and said I could not take those again.

I can't see how anyone could like that feeling? Do you know anyone who is addicted or was addicted to muscle relaxers?
Old 06-11-2009, 03:53 AM

Freedom is on a distinguished road

Well, I for one do like that feeling. Although, I have never gotten it from muscle relaxers. My body becomes so tolerant to anything I take lately, that I can't seem to get a buzz off any of it. I finally just gave up. Although, I can see where that feeling could be unsettling; especially if you hallucinate with it. I just liked the feeling of floating, whether I was or not.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:03 PM

cherri is on a distinguished road

It seems pain killers are the talk of the town, like these are the first things people think of when someone is a pill popper. And its even worse because it seems so many doctors are now worried that their patients taking something for one time are going to be addicted. I know even our local pharmacist thinks that anyone who gets an Rx for pain killers, is an addict.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:52 AM

addictswife is on a distinguished road
Default Muscle Relaxant Addiction

Yes, you can. It does the same thing in your brain, chemically speaking, as alcohol. It has to do with endorphins I believe.

Hubby is currently in detox for this very thing - he was taking 60 to 100 muscle relaxants a day.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:23 PM

DocMon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by addictswife View Post
Yes, you can. It does the same thing in your brain, chemically speaking, as alcohol. It has to do with endorphins I believe.

Hubby is currently in detox for this very thing - he was taking 60 to 100 muscle relaxants a day.
What types of muscle relaxants are these??? I would think that that many muscle relaxants would have sent your husband into instant coma!
Old 07-15-2010, 04:52 PM

addictswife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMon View Post
What types of muscle relaxants are these??? I would think that that many muscle relaxants would have sent your husband into instant coma!
Robaxacet 8 (and/ or the generic version). The 8 is for codeine I believe. He was taking them for about 10 years, not at that level of course. I imagine that you just build up a tolerance as time goes on. The doctors do say that he is incredibly fortunate to have not caused himself liver damage though, as the levels of acetaminophen (spelling?) could have literally caused his liver to shut down overnight at any point.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:33 PM

gertie is on a distinguished road

Robaxacet 8 is acetaminophen and codeine. It's both a muscle relaxant and an analgesic. 60 to 100 pops in a day would have caused not only liver damage but also respiratory depression. It's amazing your husband is still alive with no liver damage at that!
Old 02-01-2011, 05:22 AM

danilevockins is on a distinguished road

“Addiction to muscle relaxers? Addiction to muscle relaxers?” I do agree, Muscle relaxers are addictive. I have taken it several times after my accident, and now I always feel taking it again and again even after being completely recovered.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:18 AM

pwsbrian is on a distinguished road

What was good best remedy of sore muscle that it can't be addicted?
Old 08-23-2012, 03:12 AM

Mrsjc is on a distinguished road
Wink Some are addictive and some are not

Some muscle relaxants may be addictive but there are some that are not, I my self hve taken many different meds, frm muscle relaxers, opiate narcotics and such. The main 1 I really like was the methocarbamal. I took that for 4 yrs and I could easily taken myself off..which I did when I felt I didn't need it anymore. I had no prblms w it, not addictive at all, no withdrawals nothing! I'm actually suppose to be on a muscle relaxer now but the 1 I am taking is addictive which is soma only been taking it for 3 days, but after finding out about it, I'm calln my dr tmrw to change it bck to methocarbamal

Tags
addiction, medicine, muscle relaxers