Lexapro One of the top antidepressants today is Lexapro, which bears the generic name escitalopram. Learn more about effects, dosages, tolerance and addiction to Lexapro.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:11 PM

cms3001 is on a distinguished road
Default Taking Lexapro and Klonopin simultaneously?

This is my first post so I apologize if it's in the wrong place!

About a month and a half ago my doctor prescribed me Klonopin due to anxiety issues I was having caused by my work environment. He asked if the stress I was experiencing was "temporary" or "long-term" and, after discussing it further, we decided to go the temporary route (0.5 mg of Klonopin as needed). He prescribed me 30 pills with no refill and so I began to take them every morning before work. Though I was told that I could take them twice daily if needed, I chose to do as little as possible because I read about Klonopin becoming addicting.

Long story short, the Klonopin did its job, but my job situation had not changed. So I went back to my doctor and he opted to put me on Cymbalta as a "long-term" plan. At the time, he told me to continue taking my Klonopin (upping it to 1mg) since it would take time for the Cymbalta to build up in my system. Unfortunately, I had severe side effects with the Cymbalta and, after a couple weeks, was just taken off of it.

After talking with my mom (who at one point had the same reaction to stress/anxiety at work as I am having now), she explained that she was prescribed Lexapro and was very successful with it. So I suggested it to my doctor and, after a brief conversation over the phone, he called in a prescription (10mg) for me. I started it this morning and will continue to take it as prescribed, but I wondered if it is safe to continue taking my Klonopin as well?

Has anyone else used these drugs simultaneously? If so, how did you go about it? My goal is, of course, to only be using Lexapro once it builds up in my system.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:30 PM

airforce78 is on a distinguished road

I haven't dealt much with mixing Rx meds like that, but I just wanted to say thanks for posting and you're really smart to be thinking about what you're putting into your body and how it might affect you. Hopefully someone more helpful than me will chime in lol

Tags
klonopin, lexapro