Detox Centers One of the first steps in an addict's recovery is detoxifying themselves of all the junk that's been in their systems, typically at detoxification centers. If you're looking for info on the best detox centers, detox facilities, drug detoxification programs and detox clinics, check this forum out.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:57 AM

lemon is on a distinguished road
Default Anti-Addiction Drug?

There's a relatively new addiction-battling treatment drug called Vivitrol which had taken seven turns at detox centers. Vivitrol, also known as Naltrexone, is made by Alkermes Inc. The company warns users that taking this anti-addiction drug may cause nausea, fatique, headaches, and vomiting. What do you think about Vivitrol?
Old 06-14-2010, 08:46 AM

zen is on a distinguished road

And how does Vivitrol work? People addicted to other drugs inject it?
Old 06-14-2010, 09:35 AM

LiveWIRE is on a distinguished road

I have read about an interview with someone who used to be addicted to heroin. She was injected with Vivitrol once a month for one year and a half, and her cravings were gone within the few months. She also says she didn't experience any side effects.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:00 AM

friedchicken is on a distinguished road

I don't think all rehab or recovery centers would like using this drug, as there are those that still prefer sobriety and a drug-free state without the aide of another drug or another chemical substance. I guess they want "wellness" as a product of sheer will and determination.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:56 PM

tequila is on a distinguished road

Drug addiction is a very difficult problem to solve. I think a lot of rehab and detox centers are having problems with a fast-growing number of patients. The drug is really worth a try if only to lessen the numbers, and to lessen the growing number of drug-related crimes and deaths, too.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:39 PM

gertie is on a distinguished road

There are a couple of states -- Mississippi and Michigan -- who see Vivitrol as the hope in addiction treatment. They offer this non-addictive and non-narcotic drug to addicts as part of their court-enforced treatment programs.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:51 PM

Blender is on a distinguished road

But from what I know, the U.S. FDA has approved Vivitrol only as treatment for alcohol addiction. I don't think it has approved the drug for use in treating other substance addiction. Vivitrol works by lessening the impacts of alcohol when it is ingested. Those alcoholics who continue to drink alcohol while taking Vivitrol will not get drunk and will very sick. So I guess it works on drug addicts the same way. Those who abuse other substances will not be able to achieved that feeling of "high" when taking Vivitrol as this drug blocks that effect.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:26 PM

semantics is on a distinguished road

I bet this anti-addiction drug doesn't come cheap. And this will be another reason why it won't be able to help a lot of drug addicts.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:39 AM

lemon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by semantics View Post
I bet this anti-addiction drug doesn't come cheap. And this will be another reason why it won't be able to help a lot of drug addicts.
You are right. One shot of Vivitrol costs a hefty $920. Those who want to try the drug for treatment can check, however, if their insurance covers it.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:00 PM

DocMon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon View Post
There's a relatively new addiction-battling treatment drug called Vivitrol which had taken seven turns at detox centers. Vivitrol, also known as Naltrexone, is made by Alkermes Inc. The company warns users that taking this anti-addiction drug may cause nausea, fatique, headaches, and vomiting. What do you think about Vivitrol?
Naltrexone has been around for a while and has been used primarily for alcohol dependence. It has been recently tested for help in drug dependence, but it has not been declared safe yet for anything other than alcohol dependence.