Go Back   Drugs Forum - TheGoodDrugsGuide > Depressants > Alcohol

Alcohol Alcohol is perhaps the most widely-used psychoactive drug in history. Its depressant effects often lead to alcohol addiction, alcoholism, alcohol dependency, alcohol abuse, or generally speaking - excessive alcohol consumption.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:24 PM

JackTJ is on a distinguished road
Default How to beat addiction.

Can anyone share some tips on how they were able to beat their addiction to alcohol? I know it can be very tough at times.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:47 PM

KorbinD1 is on a distinguished road

I saw that it was causing problems at home for me and with calling out of work. I made a decision to stop drinking and found other activities to pass the time.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:47 PM

Zen4life is on a distinguished road

There are many different ways to beat alcohol addiction. The first step is to make the decision to beat it though. As long as you are firm on your decision, the rest comes easy (at least relatively easy). You can join AA, you can try self-hypnosis and seek professional counseling. All three combined, it is very effective and you can yield very good results in a short while.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:39 PM

Harry is on a distinguished road

i use to drink alot from the age of 16-18, after i finished school. every day, and i would usually be drunk by the end of the day, i did know there was a problem, and it affected my job and social life. i tried to stop but i found it very hard, even when i would get extra work and try alternative activities in the evenings, i did try the occasional spliff but i was never a big pot smoker, when i turned 18 i had a few months of intense drinking and decided it wasnt worth it, at the moment drink a glass of wine every couple of days and only get drunk on a weekend socially. my drug of choice is now pot i started smoking as an alternative to drinking every day and it really helped, my hunger for alcohol almost completely vanished, and after smoking pretty much every day for a couple of months i now just smoke every few days.

i know its only coming from an 18 year old but i have had my own experiences with alcohol addiction and the fact is, if you cant sum up the strength to stop drinking, weed definitely helps. and weed is easier to cut down on then alcohol.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:29 PM

Luc151 is on a distinguished road

Sometime the only way that a person is able to see that there really is a problem is if a major event happens. This can be either getting a DUI or having a loved one leave them. But the reality is that when a person sees that there are serious consequences and that they are cutting short their lives, something changes inside them.

I guess it could almost be considered like a religious experience, but something clicks inside and they want to get help, they want to be free of the drug. I have personally seen family memeber do this and I was so happy for them.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:36 PM

Julia is on a distinguished road

Similar to what Luc151 said, you need to play out how this drink will really end. If you take a drink, will you end up plastered because you couldn't stop with one drink? If you take a drink, do you become an angry drunk that will end up fighting with someone? Is this the last straw for your wife and if you come home drunk one more time, she will leave for good? Keep the consequenses in mind and if you don't care about them, you have a problem. And it is never a good idea to begin using another drug to control another because then you will just have two addictions.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:52 PM

fcom is on a distinguished road

I have tried many times to stop drinking but i didnt make it.
Recently i asked for help from a hospital. I think that im seeing
improvement ...
Old 09-30-2009, 11:09 PM

Blender is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen4life View Post
There are many different ways to beat alcohol addiction. The first step is to make the decision to beat it though. As long as you are firm on your decision, the rest comes easy (at least relatively easy). You can join AA, you can try self-hypnosis and seek professional counseling. All three combined, it is very effective and you can yield very good results in a short while.
I agree, without your conscious decision to stop it, you would not be able to beat it. Because once the cravings start, you need all the willpower you can get!
Old 09-30-2009, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry View Post
i use to drink alot from the age of 16-18, after i finished school. every day, and i would usually be drunk by the end of the day, i did know there was a problem, and it affected my job and social life. i tried to stop but i found it very hard, even when i would get extra work and try alternative activities in the evenings, i did try the occasional spliff but i was never a big pot smoker, when i turned 18 i had a few months of intense drinking and decided it wasnt worth it, at the moment drink a glass of wine every couple of days and only get drunk on a weekend socially. my drug of choice is now pot i started smoking as an alternative to drinking every day and it really helped, my hunger for alcohol almost completely vanished, and after smoking pretty much every day for a couple of months i now just smoke every few days.

i know its only coming from an 18 year old but i have had my own experiences with alcohol addiction and the fact is, if you cant sum up the strength to stop drinking, weed definitely helps. and weed is easier to cut down on then alcohol.
No way. If you are going to stop drinking, do not substitute it with other more harmful substances.

And where do you live by the way? How could you have gotten a drink everyday before it was even legal?
Old 09-30-2009, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc151 View Post
Sometime the only way that a person is able to see that there really is a problem is if a major event happens. This can be either getting a DUI or having a loved one leave them. But the reality is that when a person sees that there are serious consequences and that they are cutting short their lives, something changes inside them.

I guess it could almost be considered like a religious experience, but something clicks inside and they want to get help, they want to be free of the drug. I have personally seen family memeber do this and I was so happy for them.
Sadly this is true. but by the time this event happens, it is already too late for most people. It is either they have damaged their relationships too much and beyond repair or they are now too addicted to stop