Gambling Addiction You know a person needs gambling addiction help when gambling stops being a recreational activity and becomes a regular way to seek thrills or as a means of escape. Fortunately, gambling addiction treatment programs are now available for people with serious gambling addictions,

Old 06-13-2009, 08:07 AM

chrystal520 is on a distinguished road
Default is gambling worse than a drug addiction?

could be, my stepfather gambled away everything from his car to the mortgage money, without even a high to show for it
Old 06-14-2009, 09:57 PM

redsky99 is on a distinguished road

While it may not cause damage to you body, you can destroy your life completely by gambling everything away. You could lose you car, house, job, loved ones.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:45 PM

stacyk19 is on a distinguished road

I am not sure which one I would consider worse, I do think it is very easy for someone to develop a gambling problem, they sell lottery tickets at every food store and gas station you pass!
Old 06-24-2009, 08:00 PM

RogerC88 is on a distinguished road

Well drug addiction effects you body and causes physical harm, gambling addiction, while still affecting the brain, mainly causes financial troubles.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:18 AM

christopher1 is on a distinguished road
Default Gambling With Your Health

Greater access to gambling can increase addiction.

What differentiates an occasional gambler from a problem gambler? Any significant increase in gambling or a preoccupation with gambling that takes time away from work and family life may indicate a serious problem.

Gamblers Anonymous uses a series of 20 questions (see their web site link below) to help gamblers and their family members determine whether an individual's gambling activity has reached a point that clinicians would call pathological.

Now, Gamblers Anonymous organizations have sprung up nationwide as well as internationally, and counselors who specialize in treating gambling disorders are available in many states.

But the GA support group helped him come to terms with his addiction. "You go to meetings and say, 'I need help,' then someone else says something that might apply. You realize you're not alone. Sometimes that's all it takes to start the process to recovery."
Old 07-29-2009, 07:37 PM

Chrissie is on a distinguished road

Gambling can destroy your life as much as drugs can. I had an uncle who gambled on the horses all the time. We would visit him one week and all the furniture would be gone, then the next week there would be different stuff. He kept selling it to finance his gambling then buying more when he won but my aunt eventually left because she couldn't live like that.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:59 PM

stacyk19 is on a distinguished road

The serious and dark side of gambling is when it gets so bad that the person is starting to borrow money from loan sharks. Once the problem gets to that point I think that a family member should step in and attempt to help them out.

Boring considerable sums of money from the wrong type of person can have horrible consequences, I know we have all seen what happens in the movies, but I had a n uncle that was very deep in debt and he disappeared for almost a month, we thought someone did something very bad to him.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:44 PM

DocMon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrystal520 View Post
could be, my stepfather gambled away everything from his car to the mortgage money, without even a high to show for it
Hmmmn... the lesser evil is still evil.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacyk19 View Post
I am not sure which one I would consider worse, I do think it is very easy for someone to develop a gambling problem, they sell lottery tickets at every food store and gas station you pass!
buying lottery tickets does not make you addicted. buying 1000 lottery tickets when you have no food on the table is. There is a difference between encouraging gambling and encouraging gambling addiction.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacyk19 View Post
The serious and dark side of gambling is when it gets so bad that the person is starting to borrow money from loan sharks. Once the problem gets to that point I think that a family member should step in and attempt to help them out.

Boring considerable sums of money from the wrong type of person can have horrible consequences, I know we have all seen what happens in the movies, but I had a n uncle that was very deep in debt and he disappeared for almost a month, we thought someone did something very bad to him.
Hi Stackyk19: I think what you said is wrong. You should STEP IN at the first signs of trouble, not when they are already too deep in that they have to resort to borrowing money from loan sharks.

You should be aware of the signs of gambling addiction and see to it that you step in to help once the first signs show. That way it's easier to kick the habit.