Go Back   Drugs Forum - TheGoodDrugsGuide > Addiction Treatment Center Corner > Wellness Centers

Wellness Centers Wellness programs are designed to promote health and general wellness. Some centers are open for everyone, from people who just want relax to recovering addicts who want to heal, and some are specifically designed for formerly addicted individuals.

Old 07-27-2009, 04:23 AM

sino is on a distinguished road
Default Best Allergy Medicine For Cat Allergy?

I have been allergic to cats my whole life. I recently tried volunteering at my local animal shelter. I didn't even TOUCH a cat, but being in the room with them made my allergies go nuts. My eyes water and itch terribly, my nose runs and gets itchy, and I start wheezing. I'm not allergic to dogs at all. I do have seasonal allergies that aren't as bad, and have taken Claritin for those, with good success. The Clarintin does nothing for those. I've tried Benedril, but it just makes me fall asleep. Are there any good allergy medicines that work wonders for cat allergies? If I have to I'll go to an allergy doctor, but it costs a heck of a lot less if I go to my regular doctor and request the medicine. I do my best to wash my hands and not touch my eyes but its still terrible. I also don't know if medicines treat all the symtpoms, the itchy eyes and the nose, or just the nose. I'm looking for any experiences, good or bad. Also, how well can you tolerate cats now? Thanks!!
Old 07-27-2009, 05:12 AM

gris is on a distinguished road

You've tried the 2 best OTC drugs. Benedryl is the best, but it does cause drowsiness. Claritin is the other really good one. Sounds like it's time for a trip to the doc.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:57 PM

thing1 is on a distinguished road

I noticed at Walmart recently that you can buy generics for just about every kind of allergy medicine out there. And for really cheap. Maybe it's worth trying a couple of them to see which works best for you. What works for some may not work for others.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:12 PM

Luc151 is on a distinguished road

This has nothing at all to do with wellness centers, but I can relate to this question so I will offer any help I have. I was allergic to cats for about 20 years and one day it just stopped. I never took anything for it on a regular basis but I did try claritin and benedryll a few times to no effect.

If you are allergic to cats I wouldn't voluteer in an animal shelter plain and simple, why be miserable all day long?
Old 08-06-2009, 08:15 AM

zen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sino View Post
I have been allergic to cats my whole life. I recently tried volunteering at my local animal shelter. I didn't even TOUCH a cat, but being in the room with them made my allergies go nuts. My eyes water and itch terribly, my nose runs and gets itchy, and I start wheezing. I'm not allergic to dogs at all. I do have seasonal allergies that aren't as bad, and have taken Claritin for those, with good success. The Clarintin does nothing for those. I've tried Benedril, but it just makes me fall asleep. Are there any good allergy medicines that work wonders for cat allergies? If I have to I'll go to an allergy doctor, but it costs a heck of a lot less if I go to my regular doctor and request the medicine. I do my best to wash my hands and not touch my eyes but its still terrible. I also don't know if medicines treat all the symtpoms, the itchy eyes and the nose, or just the nose. I'm looking for any experiences, good or bad. Also, how well can you tolerate cats now? Thanks!!
I really think that the best way to manage any allergy is to stay away from the triggers. In your case, stay away from cats.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:16 AM

zen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by thing1 View Post
I noticed at Walmart recently that you can buy generics for just about every kind of allergy medicine out there. And for really cheap. Maybe it's worth trying a couple of them to see which works best for you. What works for some may not work for others.
Please do not experiment with drugs of any kind, it might be very harmful to your body.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:52 AM

christopher1 is on a distinguished road
Default Hello

Thanks for sharing with us hope this is very very useful tips for all,,,,
Old 10-05-2009, 08:00 AM

lemon is on a distinguished road

I've been on Claritin, and I must say it's a good medication for allergies. But I agree with you Zen, do not self medicate. You just don't know what will happen if you have conditions that are contraindicated with it.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:39 PM

napalm is on a distinguished road

I really cannot understand why people self medicate when a visit to the doctor not only guarantees their safety but a more speedy recovery.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:02 AM

danneva is on a distinguished road

Cat allergies are more common than dog allergies, thus, becoming aware of symptoms and treatments will definitely help you attend to family members who are allergic to your feline friends. Medications are useless unless you will do something in reducing cat allergens. Since cats clobber their fur and skin, the allergens that are present in the cat’s saliva stick to its fur and when it dries up develop into airborne dust particles. Since these allergens are airborne, it is inevitable for people allergic to cats to experience these reactions from time to time. Buy a hairbrush for your cat to remove cat allergens from its fur. Bathe your cat. Indeed, there are a number of ways to avoid the allergy attack.

Last edited by danneva; 10-20-2010 at 08:51 AM.