Go Back   Drugs Forum - TheGoodDrugsGuide > Behavioral Addiction > Shopping Addiction

Shopping Addiction Going into a store planning to buy one pair of shoes and coming out with seven, or spending $500 instead of the budgeted $100 are standard shopping addiction symptoms. And just like an alcoholic or a drug addict, shopping addicts tend to keep proof of their excessive shopping habits from their loved ones, often living in stark denial.

Old 08-04-2009, 04:06 PM

Luc151 is on a distinguished road

These are some helpful tips to avoid getting into trouble when you go out shopping. I took out all of my credit cards from my wallet but I found myself using my mac card to just go and mac out the money from an ATM.

It is a pain to do this but I cut up my mac card and only took out what money I needed for the week from my bank. This way if I wanted to go by something frivilous I would have to drive all the way to bank and sit in line to get money out. I did it once and it was such a pain that I cured myself from overspending.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:38 PM

lemon is on a distinguished road

Great tips.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:51 PM

cherri is on a distinguished road

I think #4 is the biggest that most people overlook. Its very easy to carry your Visa bank card on you (most of us do), and think just swipe and go. For me, I plan a list before hand, and while I might come home with 2 things that were not on the items list, 90% of the time I honestly had forgotten I was out of something and thats what I grabbed for, remembering it once I was at the store.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:21 AM

EmiRoss is on a distinguished road

I would like to add that the first thing to do is to be aware that you're shopping excessively. Watch out for the signs like buying something you don't need, and still buying when you don't have the money to. You should also check if you have credit card debt that you are not able to pay immediately.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:28 AM

MarissaS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen4life View Post
4. Have Limited Cash. Take your wallet, but don't bring your credit card. Carry about fifty dollars or whatever you have budgeted. This way, you won't be able to spend what you don't have. When you get good at not spending, you can start carrying credit cards with you.

I would suggest canceling all your credit cards except for one that you can use in case of an emergency. Working within a budget is also a good way to discipline yourself.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:14 AM

Peruvian is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen4life View Post
5. Bring a Friend. When shopping, bring a friend who will talk you out of impulse items or buying what you don't need. Have him or her hold your wallet if you need to.
My mom had this attitude of pointing out how a certain shoe or dress or color won't match you. I guess my mom would have been great at curing shopping addicts, she can be very persuasive too

I miss my mom!
Old 01-10-2011, 11:20 AM

sandry is on a distinguished road

I took out all of my credit cards from my wallet but I found myself using my mac card to just go and mac out the money from an ATM. It is a pain to do this but I cut up my mac card and only took out what money I needed for the week from my bank. This way if I wanted to go by something frivilous I would have to drive all the way to bank and sit in line to get money out. I did it once and it was such a pain that I cured myself from overspending.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:43 PM

Cynthia is on a distinguished road

How to stop getting this prob?...